Benefits of Participating in the Science & Engineering Fair
- Preparation for college and business and insight into career options
- Builds confidence
- Increases organizational and process skills
- Improves writing and communication skills
- Requires creativity
- Improves visual/spatial thinking skills
- Opportunity to win awards, college scholarships and other prizes
Watch below for one students experience representing North Carolina in the 2019 International Science & Engineering Fair.
How does the NC Science & Engineering Fair work?
- The schools may or may not require forms to be filled out for the science fair – HOWEVER, if the student wins and advances on to other levels, the official ISEF forms will be required and SOME of those are “supposed” to be filled out BEFORE the student ever even begins work. So, if (s)he advances, it is important to check dates on the forms to make sure the ones that are supposed to be filled out beforehand have an earlier date than the ones about the actual experiment.
- At this point, you must register through an online site called STEMWIZARD. The software will help with figuring out the forms.
- You will not have to reload forms – the forms located in the software will be forwarded by the regional fair to that level. The forms are checked at both levels, and you may be contacted to correct something or provide further information.
- This is the big leagues! Some amazing scholarship money is handed out for the winners here, along with international recognition.
Where to Start
So you want to do a science or engineering project for the fair? Great!
The very first thing you should do is find out if your school holds a science and engineering fair. If your school doesn't have a fair, contact the director of your regional fair to find out where you can compete.
Once you know where to enter your project it is time to develop a question or choose a problem, and get to work! Make sure that you follow all the rules and complete the required forms BEFORE you start collecting data.
We've put together a bunch of other helpful tips and information to get you started and keep you going through competition day.