Who can help with your project?

Depending on the details of your project, there are several adults who can and some who must help you with your science fair project.  Make sure you check the rules relevant to your project to make sure that you get the required help you need.

Adult Sponsor

  • Oversees project to make sure that student
  • A teacher usually serves as Adult Sponsor but can also be a parent

Qualified Scientist

  • Required for some projects
  • Doctoral/professional degree related to student research or
  • Masters degree with SRC approval (see below)
  • Completes Qualified Science Form 2

Designated Supervisor

  • Animal Care Supervisor for vertebrate animal projects
  • Supervises projects involving hazardous chemicals, activities or devices
  • Supervises projects requiring a Qualified Scientist when the Qualified Scientist cannot directly supervise the student

IRB (Institutional Review Board)

  • Reviews human subject studies
  • Membership must include:
    • an educator
    • a school administrator
    • someone knowledgeable about evaluating physical and/or psychological risk: MD, PA, RN, psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed social worker or licensed clinical professional counselor

SRC (Scientific Review Committee)

  • Reviews some projects before experimentation
  • Reviews all projects just prior to competition
  • All school and regional fairs have an SRC. Please visit your region's webpage or contact your school or regional director regarding to whom you should address questions.
  • There is a State level SRC that reviews all projects prior to the State level fair. If you have any questions regarding rules please email.
  • Membership must include:
    • a biomedical scientist (Ph.D., M.D., D.V.M., D.D.S., D.O.)
    • an educator
    • one other member